Gestational Diabetes is a common complication that occurs during pregnancy. Among all the pregnant women 6% are affected by Gestational Diabetes. Similar to other diabetes, Gestational Diabetes affects the use of sugar (glucose) by body cells. This diabetes can affect baby also. So it is important to take enough care while a pregnant woman is suffering from Gestational Diabetes.
Causes of Gestational Diabetes
These are some of the causes of Gestational Diabetes. It is important to take care of the women who are suffering from these when they are pregnant.
- Pregnant women are suffering from obesity.
- If she had given birth to a large baby previously.
- If she had given birth to a premature baby or baby suffering from certain birth defects.
- Have a family of diabetes history.
- IF she had suffered from Gestational Diabetes in her previous deliveries.
- If the pregnant woman is hailing from Asia, Hispanic, Native American, African. It is a misconception that all the women from these countries are suffering from Gestational Diabetes, it happens in most of the cases.
- During pregnancy, the placenta which connects blood supply to baby releases different kind of hormones and insulin is one of them. In some cases as the baby grows the release insulin increases which may lead to Gestational Diabetes.
- If she is older than 30 (not in all cases).
- If she is suffering from high blood pressure.
[Read: Get Rid Of Loose Skin after Pregnancy]
Usually, this Gestational Diabetes won’t exhibit any symptoms but if a pregnant woman is suffering from Gestational Diabetes these things can be noticed
- More thirsty.
- More hungry, eating a lot more than usual.
- Urge to pee more.
If a pregnant lady is suffering from any of these symptoms, it is important to consult a doctor and have some screening tests.
It is important to consult a doctor immediately as soon as these symptoms have been observed. Treatment is the must for Gestational Diabetes and ignoring it may cause many problems.
- It is important to check sugar levels of pregnant women once in four days.
- Urine tests to check the level of ketones which helps in determining whether the sugar is under control or not.
- Doing Exercises.
- Eating a healthy diet.
- Losing excess pounds before getting pregnant will help in preventing or curing Gestational Diabetes.
[Read: Eating Tips for a Pregnant Woman]
Complications Caused Due To Gestational Diabetes
- Excessive birth weight.
- Preterm birth
- Respiratory distress syndrome
- Low blood sugar
- Type-2 diabetes in future.
- High Blood Pressure and preeclampsia
- Diabetes in future
These are some of the complications that can be caused in mother or baby because of Gestational Diabetes. Gestational diabetes can be extremely dangerous if left uncured. Diabetes can change the entire life, so it is important for the mother to be extra careful while pregnancy. Changing to a healthy lifestyle will definitely bring a change. So switch to a healthy lifestyle, eat healthy food and do regular exercise.